Thursday, January 17, 2008

Curried Tomato Soup

One of my favorite lunches is half a grilled cheddar cheese sandwich with a cup of tomato soup. One spring I was flipping through a magazine and found this recipe for curried tomato soup that is really delicious and easy to make. I’ll usually make a batch at the beginning of the week and lunch on it for at least three or four days.

And a quick story about this soup: I come from a large family – I’m the oldest of eight – and when I was engaged to Michael my Dad thought it very important that I practice cooking as much as possible before we got married. (Because mass-producing food for 10 people will put you on the road to proper food portions; it led to things like cooking two boxes of spaghetti for two people as a newlywed.) Overtime I became a pretty decent cook and believe I convinced my parents of this one Saturday afternoon when they dropped by unexpected and I served them this soup alongside a simple cheese sandwich for lunch. It’s the little victories.

Curried Tomato Soup
From Martha Stewart Living (I think)

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon curry
1 28 oz can crushed or diced tomatoes
½ teaspoon baking powder
1.5 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan and sauté onion for five minutes. Add curry and cook for one minute. Add canned tomatoes and baking powder. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low and heat partly covered about five minutes. Stir in milk. Pour soup into blender and puree until creamy. Return to pan and reheat. Season to taste.

2 comments:

Philip said...

As I like to say, Martha can do no wrong. BTW, I don't know what those crackers are called, but Rose bought some and I like 'em.

Nate said...

Howdy! Molly and I miss you all and talk about your blog on a weekly basis. John is getting big and looking like you more everyday (thank goodness!>)
Hope all is well with everyone and that Michael's job search is continuing to go well.
Cheers!